Friday, 25 July 2014

Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man

US Sundazed Mono LP, LP5432
First released October 1968
This reissue released May 2013

1. Hurdy Gurdy Man
2. Peregrine
3. The Entertaining Of A Shy Girl
4. As I Recall It
5. Get Thy Bearings
6. Hi It’s Been A Long Time
7. West Indian Lady
8. Jennifer Juniper
9. The River Song
10. Tangier
11. A Sunny Day
12. The Sun Is A Very Magic Fellow
13. Teas

Bonus tracks
14. Poor Cow (B side Epic single 5-10300; Mar 68)
15. Teen Angel (B side Epic single 5-10345; Jun 68)
16. Lalena (A side Epic single 5-10393; Oct 68)

17. Aye My Love (B side Epic single 5-10393; Oct 68)

==About the album==

From Sundazed.com...
"With 1968’s The Hurdy Gurdy Man, Donovan delivered one of his most full-realized works, with a psychedelic/progressive edge as well as an exotic Eastern flavor that reflects the influence of his then-recent trip with the Beatles to India to study with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi—an experience that helped to inspire Donovan to renounce drug use and encourage his fans to try meditation instead of chemical consumption. While the title track introduced a heavier-sounding Donovan to AM radio listeners and became one of his biggest hit singles, the smash “Jennifer Juniper” maintains his gentle, romantic side. The album’s playful experimental spirit is reflected in the innovative use of drones on such tracks as “Peregrine” and “Tangier,” and in the music-hall diversion of “As I Recall It,” while “A Sunny Day,” “The River Song” and “The Entertaining of a Shy Girl” showcase Donovan’s knack for idyllic, pastoral songcraft. Sundazed’s vinyl edition of The Hurdy Gurdy Man features the album’s rare, much sought-after original mono mix, doing justice to the sonic presence and creative imagination of this vintage gem."

This is my fave Donovan album, yet it seems to get universally panned by music critics. Admittedly, it is a mix of styles thrown together, but in amongst the mix are some true gems. The title track, "Get Thy Bearings", "Hi It's Been A Long Time" and "The River Song" are all, in my opinion, great tunes. An album well worth a listen anyway.

==About this transfer==

Wow - that's all I can say!

This has to be one of the quietest records I own. And it also sounds great - Kevin Gray did a great job mastering this one!

The vinyl was so clean and quiet that whatever minimal declicking was required was done completely by hand. NO NR or EQ has been applied to these transfers.

The first three bonus tracks have been taken from Epic's excellent 1992 "Troubadour: The Definitive Collection" CD compilation. The fourth, "Aye My Love", is a needledrop of the single courtesy of tubert and restored by me. It is the original 1:45 mix of the track rather than the mix that appears on all CDs, which replaces the second verse and cold ending with a repeat of the first verse, chorus and instrumental until fading out.

==Vinyl transfer and 24bit mastering by Q==

Source Matrices
01-07: LP5432 88725454181-A KrG@CA
08-13: LP5432 88725454181-B KrG@CA
14-16: Epic CD "Troubadour: The Definitive Collection" - E2K 46986
17: Epic single transferred by tubert and mastered in 24bit by Q

Hardware
- Project Xpression III Turntable
- Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge
- Project SpeedBox II Quartz-Generated Electronic Speed Regulator
- Denon PMA-700AE Integrated Amplifier

Software
- Audition 3.0.1 (audio capture and editing)
- iZotope RX 3 Advanced (audio editing and resampling/dithering to Red Book audio specifications)

Artwork included

31 comments:

  1. I'm hearing the rip for the second time and man, what a great work!

    While I prefer the title track in stereo, the rest of the album sounds great in mono, "Get Thy Bearings" in particular, was made to be played in mono.

    Thank you so much, Q!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Q! Two releases in a weeks time. . .are you on vacation? Thanks again.


    -ottoman79

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks, Q. Incidentally, "Aye My Love" is available in mono on the "Breezes Of Patchouli" box.

    tambler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Seems to be the same as what's on the remaster, which I chose not to use because I wanted an older "less processed" copy. And Donovan singles aren't easy (or cheap) to come by down here!

      Delete
  4. O_O Nicely done! Now I won't have to wait anymore for a CD release (or I can now wait, with this to bide my time)! Thanks, Q!

    BTW I was unaware the mono mix of "Aye My Love" was on that box, I was under the impression that the "Breezes of Patchouli" box was just a repackaging of the remasters, and that the only new track on it was the Italian version of Jennifer Juniper (which is also in mono!). So I've included both files in a ZIP here for the curious: http://cl.ly/WmpC

    -Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think you may be correct. The version on the remaster is mono as well. See my comment above for why I chose not to use it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply, Q. Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of the remasters either, they're a little too EQ'd for my taste. That new JJ Italian track to my knowledge has never been released before, though, and unlike AYEML, is definitely "true mono" (both in FLAC size and volume level), so I suspect that track is a brand new, and thus different, mastering. It sounds nice to my ears, too, so I'll still leave the link up in case you or others want to hear it.

      BTW on that other... erm, exclusive vinyl site (*hrm, hrm, HRM!*), somebody else did a rip of 4 Donovan 45 sides (meaning 2 singles, HGM and Atlantis), although they mislabeled Teen Angel as Hey Girl for some reason... I actually thought they ripped the Aye My Love single, but I misremembered, so sorry about that. Just thought I'd mention it for relevance, though!

      Delete
  5. There are still extant Hi Res/redbook mono and/or stereo UK vinyl rips available of the following: Sunshine Superman, Greatest Hits, Fairytale, A Gift From A Flower To A Garden, Universal Soldier, What´s Bin Did And What´s Bin Hid, Donovan In Concert, Open Road.

    Seek and ye shall find.

    tambler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so very much for this mono. My favorite Donovan album by far. Any critic who puts this one down is obviously, and without any doubt, truly deaf to quality music.
    For a uncompressed "Aye My Love," try to find a copy of the collection called Greatest Hits and More:
    http://www.amazon.com/Donovan-Greatest-Hits-More/dp/B000003PLY/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1407209469&sr=1-3&keywords=donovan+greatest+hits+more
    I unfortunately sold mine while getting the remasters, before listening to them, something I've regretted ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Johnson, Perfect. thank you so much for this. Instead of asking for the rest of the disc, if you're still reading this, which I wouldn't mind for nostalgia sake, could I at least bother you for one more song? I remember "Preachin' Love" sounding quite good on this collection compared to later releases. If you wouldn't mind uploading that one, I'd be truly grateful. Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Preachin' Love: http://tinyurl.com/k2wtcay

      Delete
    3. @johnson: Thank you very much. Truly appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so so much for this mono version Q!

    --Clampdown--

    ReplyDelete
  8. James in Edinburgh6 August 2014 at 19:59

    Thank you! A delightful discovery for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. RE: Regarding Lalena / AYE My Love...

    I was curious about the "Greatest Hits and More" collection that Kwork mentioned, so I decided to research this comp on the Hoffman forums, but then I found this: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/donovan-aye-my-love.345271/

    Apparently the version on the 2005 remaster and the GH&M CD is different from what's on the actual single, with the former having a "splice/repeat of the first verse", while "the single has an actual second verse". Q, do you own a copy of the 45, and could you tell us if it's like what this user is saying? Because now I'm a bit worried.

    -Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, looks like you're right:
      http://donovan-unofficial.com/music/songs/aye_my_love.html
      The single version does have a true second verse:

      "Silly would I be to want you
      Just to be here by me
      Lonely am I this chilly night
      But, my love, that is all"

      I find that disgusting that they'd leave out a full verse for the digital version and splice in the already existing first verse. Maybe the master tape broke or something. LOL! Now I'm also hoping a true vinyl rip turns up. The one claiming to be so on YouTube is not as it also uses the double first verse.

      Delete
    2. I don't own a copy, no. Looks like I'm gonna have to find one!

      Delete
    3. Psst... don't know if you have an account on (ok I'll say it) HiResMusic, but someone just posted a rip of the Aye My Love B-Side. You should check it out and download it for reference purposes... ;-)

      -Vic

      Delete
    4. Listening to the single now, it's interesting how... different the single is! While all extant versions on CD just repeat the first verse & chorus and loop the instrumental while fading out, this version not only has a second verse but also an actual different performance on the second chorus! And, it has an abrupt cold ending! Absolutely astounding how the true single mix has still never been released in digital!

      I usually don't like to ask favors, but if you ever get ahold of the single yourself, could you please bump that thread up there with your findings? I don't have an account on SH.TV, but I feel like this sort of info needs to be more well-known!

      -Vic

      Delete
    5. Yeah, I've just bought what I hope will be an as-described NM copy of the single. May even get the other two as well (Jennifer and Hurdy) and do them all.

      Delete
    6. Thanks for the reply, Q. Gotta say, I'm excited, even though I'd be happy with just the Aye My Love side myself. I really think there could be a great market for Sundazed to issue a Donovan 1960s Singles Collection (using all original mono mixes!) on CD, but until then... I guess it's up to you vinyl rippers to do the job! Hope a Barabajagal is in your future, too.

      Now... about that SH.TV thread... ;-)

      -Vic

      Delete
    7. Well, the single arrived during the week. Looked exactly as described.

      But, disappointingly, that was the end of it. I put it on and, well, let's just say the sound is not up to the looks. A distorted mess. :(

      I did confirm though that the mix is the same as tubert's, but at AU$30 delivered, it was an expensive exercise.

      I'm not gonna buy any more singles from the US - too cost prohibitive and risky - so what I'll do is clean up tubert's and see if he is OK with me adding them to my package (it's really just Aye My Love, but I'll consider the others if they sound cleaner/better than the CD versions).

      Delete
    8. OK, tubert's given me the go ahead, so I'm currently uploading new 16/44 and 24/96 packages that include a clean version of Aye My Love. The packages also include updated artwork and minor updates to some of the other bonus tracks.

      Delete
    9. Cripes! That's mighty disappointing. Thanks for reporting back, Q. Here's hoping Donovan and Sony wise up soon and decide to reinstate the original version somewhere soon!

      BTW thanks for bumping up and posting in that SH.TV thread. I think this information needs to be spread more widely, considering how shocking it is that the 2nd verse has been pretty much absent since that original 1967 release!

      -Vic

      Delete
  10. New links now available; see first post. Includes single mix of Aye My Love. Hi-Res package includes all bonus tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, before I forget: Thanks a lot for cleaning up tubert's rip and making it more... presentable, so to speak. Sounds great! Now if only Sony can find and release that blaseted tape...

      -Vic

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Of course, the down side is that I haven't been able to get the damn tune out of my head for the last week! :)

      Delete
    3. Yep, I know that feeling of not being able to lose that song. Damn catchy melody, a true earworm. Almost annoyingly so after a while. Thanks for the restoration on Tubert's rip.

      Delete