
UK Parlophone Mono LP, PMC 7057
First released August 1968
01 - I Can't Let Go
02 - Bus Stop
03 - We're Through
04 - Carrie-Anne
05 - Here I Go Again
06 - King Midas In Reverse
07 - Yes I Will
08 - I'm Alive
09 - Just One Look
10 - On A Carousel
11 - Stay
12 - Look Through Any Window
13 - Stop Stop Stop
14 - Jennifer Eccles
First released August 1968
01 - I Can't Let Go
02 - Bus Stop
03 - We're Through
04 - Carrie-Anne
05 - Here I Go Again
06 - King Midas In Reverse
07 - Yes I Will
08 - I'm Alive
09 - Just One Look
10 - On A Carousel
11 - Stay
12 - Look Through Any Window
13 - Stop Stop Stop
14 - Jennifer Eccles
==About the album==
I've listened to a few Hollies compilations over the years (UK/US, CD/LP) and when it comes to mono mixes this one is easily the best sounding of the lot. Utilising original mono tapes (not tape copies), original mono mixes (not folddowns) and no noise reduction, I can't imagine a better way to listen to the early Hollies hits! Forget the stereo mixes and remixes, mono is how this stuff needs to be heard!
==About this transfer==
It's been a bit of a quest finding a suitable copy of this album to 'drop. Most copies I've heard have heavy groove distortion (must have been a lot of "wild parties" in the day ;)). In the end I settled on this copy; it's not perfect but it is the best copy I've heard, plus it has the added bonus of being one of the first 300 or so copies pressed (look at those matrices)!
NB: There's a very slight dropout 17 seconds into "I'm Alive". This appears to be a master tape fault as it's on my other black/yellow labelled copy as well. Accordingly, I have left it exactly as it was released back in 1968.
==Vinyl transfer and 24bit mastering by Q==
Source Matrices
01-07: XEX 693-1-1-G
08-14: XEX 694-1-1-G
Hardware
- Project Xpression III Turntable
- Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge
- Project SpeedBox II Quartz-Generated Electronic Speed Regulator
- Denon PMA-700AE Integrated Amplifier
Software
- Audition 3.0.1 (audio capture and editing)
- iZotope RX 2 Advanced (resampling and dithering to Red Book audio specifications)
Artwork included
I enjoyed this for weeks. Thank you, mate
ReplyDeleteNo probs mate. Long time no hear; hope you are well. Looking forward to your next release, whatever it may be.
ReplyDeleteThis rip is ear candy.
ReplyDeleteVery nice pressing, detailed, the vocals have a lot of punch in mono (real mono, unlike most CD compilations of these tracks). You did a great work.
Thanks for sharing this piece of history.
Many thanks Q! (no Bond pun intended :)
ReplyDeleteFabulous, can't wait to give this a listen.
ReplyDeleteThanks
Awesome, needed some mono versions of their material.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion The Hollies are probably 2nd only to the Beatles in terms of high quality singles output in the 60's..really looking forward to hearing these original mono mixes so thanks Janes Q
ReplyDeleteLove this compilation in glorious mono - thanks!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of those transfers/remasters that I go back to again and again. Q, come back! It's been too long!
ReplyDelete