Monday, 25 June 2012

Roy Orbison - Live In Melbourne

First released November 2010 (CD edition)

01 - Only The Lonely
02 - Crying
03 - Dream Baby
04 - In Dreams
05 - Mean Woman Blues
06 - Too Soon To Know
07 - Penny Arcade
08 - Blue Bayou
09 - Land Of 1000 Dances
10 - Bridge Over Troubled Water
11 - Leah
12 - Running Scared
13 - Sweet Caroline
14 - It's Over
15 - Oh, Pretty Woman
16 - Oh, Pretty Woman (Encore)
17 - Interview At Chevron Hotel Sydney 1971



==About the album==

Well, not so much an album, but a concert, filmed by a local TV station at the Festival Hall in Melbourne, Australia, on 3 October 1972 during Roy's four-month World Tour. This concert was first aired on Australian TV in 1973, then seemingly lost until the 2000s when it was produced for worldwide DVD release by Barbara Orbison (under the title "Roy Orbison Live From Australia").

At this Melbourne concert, an orchestra backs Roy in addition to his own band. From the band's opening bars of "Only The Lonely" to the encore of "Oh, Pretty Woman", this dynamic performance is filled with Roy's classic hits, great ballads, powerful rockers and rarities like "Land Of 1000 Dances", "Sweet Caroline" (as Neil Diamond was in Australia with Roy and wanted Roy to share the stage with him at one of his concerts) and "Bridge Over Troubled Water". The infectiousness of his music can be heard during "Penny Arcade", arguably one of his most loved tracks down this corner of the globe.

This concert survives as a tribute to Orbison’s immense popularity in Australia.

==About this transfer==

This concert has never been released on LP or CD. For this transfer I used the aforementioned official DVD, released in 2005. Restored and mastered by Paragon Studios from the original 1972 (mono) video tape master of the event, this DVD consists of three distinct audio tracks: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

Having auditioned the Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo track and finding it unacceptable for the task (too lossy and too brickwalled), I decided to do a new master from the far superior full-rate DTS 5.1 track. This track was less brickwalled, but still not as dynamic as I would have liked. However, given its high quality, it was the pick of the bunch.

While creating this new master I repaired a number of tape dropouts inherent in the original recording. There were also two short periods of tape damage that I have reduced considerably (to around 5 seconds each). I filtered the 15734.25 (NTSC) and 15625 (PAL) frequencies, the former of which was just audible in the quiet sections at full volume (given the original footage was shot in PAL, I used the PAL DVD for the transfer, but the DVD was mastered in the USA and thus converted to NTSC before being converted back again).

Finally I resampled and dithered the 20bit/48kHz audio down to Red Book (CD) audio specifications.

As a bonus track, I have included a rare and candid 12 minute interview with Roy Orbison from Sydney, circa 1971, recorded between shows at the Chevron Hotel. I had to do a bit of work on it, as it was quite poor quality and suffered from digital clipping, but I think I have restored it nicely. Still, it's a treat that I doubt many Orbison fans would have heard. For those interested, the interview was conducted by 2UE radio broadcaster Les Thompson for the "Dulux Show".

==Remastered by Q==

Source Matrices
01-16: "Roy Orbison Live From Australia" DVD, full-rate DTS 5.1 audio track
17: 128kbps mp3 file

Hardware
- N/A

Software
- DVD Audio Extractor 5.2.1 (audio extraction from DVD)
- Audition 3.0.1 (audio editing and repair)
- iZotope RX Advanced (audio repair and resampling and dithering to Red Book audio specifications)

Artwork included

CD quality (326mb)
Hi-Res (not available)

3 comments:

  1. unfortunately this was not available. FileFactory sez the file may have been deleted.

    Thanks for all the fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just discovered you. Great site - many thanks from the UK! Best wishes, Paul

    ReplyDelete