Friday, 5 April 2013

The Best Of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl (Remaster)

 
 AUS Parlophone Mono LP, PMCO 7541
Released June 1967

01 - For My Woman
02 - She's So Fine
03 - Wedding Ring
04 - Sad & Lonely & Blue
05 - Easy As Can Be
06 - In My Book
07 - Women (Make You Feel Alright)
08 - Pretty Girl
09 - Come And See Her
10 - I'll Make You Happy (Just Like Your Mama Wants)
11 - Too Much
12 - Sorry
13 - Made My Bed (Gonna Lie In It)
14 - Friday On My Mind
 ==About the album==

"The Best of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl" was the first Australian compilation album by The Easybeats, released in mid-1967. Apart from "Pretty Girl", which hadn't been released previously in Australia, the album contained all the Australian A sides plus a couple of B sides, including three songs from the "Good Friday" album, which had been released in Europe in May 1967 but due to contract issues was not released in Australia: "Friday On My Mind", "Pretty Girl" and "Made My Bed (Gonna Lie In It)".

In October 2010, the album was listed at No. 6 in the book, "100 Best Australian Albums".

==About this transfer==

My original aim was to share a needledrop of my first-press LP. I did transfer it, and it came out very nice, however, when comparing to my reference copy (a 1990s Sony CD reissue, now long out of print), I noticed two things:

1. The LP sounded a bit duller
2. The CD appeared to be a straight, unfutzed-with tape transfer, right down to the tape hiss, tape machine/splice clicks and gaps between tracks.

So, recognising that my needledrop would not be a significant improvement over the CD, I decided to focus my attention on the CD mastering. See, I've always liked the CD, however, there's a number of distractions that stop me from *really* enjoying it. There's numerous dropouts, which, given it's clear the mono tapes were transferred on a stereo machine, are very noticeable (ie channel "ping pong"). The stereo transfer also introduced a channel imbalance, shifting the image slightly to the left. And, all of the side 2 tracks have "ticks" every 0.4s that's audible in the fades and gaps.

Fortunately, after some scrutiny, I observed that these problems were primarily limited to the left channel. So, I saw an easy solution.

I ripped the tracks to my hard drive and simply replaced the left channel audio with that of the superior right channel. This removed the obvious dropouts and ticks. The result was still not perfect though (good enough, but not good enough for me), as a small number of audible dropouts remained. I fixed these through some fiddly manual audio editing.

The result is an album that plays in true mono and free of obvious defects, thus making it IMHO much better than the commercial CD as well as my vinyl transfer.

So I offer it here, with full scans of the original LP artwork (the commercial CD artwork is atrocious), for your enjoyment.

Summary of my edits:
- Tape machine/splice clicks removed from the gaps after tracks 1, 3-6 and 8-11.
- Minor dropouts repaired in tracks 2, 4-6, 8-9 and 13-14. I've deliberately left some dropouts as they are inherent in the original recordings (for example, 30s into Sad & Lonely & Blue).

Notes:
1. "Sorry", "For My Woman" and "She's So Fine" sound like they're from vinyl sources as they're a little bit scratchy and distorted, but they're like that on the original vinyl as well.

2. There are some clicks scattered throughout, however, they are also on my needledrop, so I can only conclude that they are on the original tape (unlike typical vinyl clicks, these clicks appear equally in both channels). Thus I left them, as I prefer to present the audio as close to how it would have originally sounded on pristine vinyl way back in 1967.

3. It appears that the mastering is different on earlier EMI/Axis labelled CD releases. I can only confirm that the later CBS and Sony Music CD releases use straight transfers of the original tapes.

==Remastered by Q==

Source Matrices
01-14: Sony CD "The Best Of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl" - Sony Music Australia ** 465396.2 ** (DB) #05

Hardware
- N/A

Software
- Audition 3.0.1 (audio editing and repair)

Artwork included


Hi-Res (not available)

21 comments:

  1. thanks for this ! is the mastering the same as the repertoire records release?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The reason I'm using the original Aussie CD instead of my needledrop as the source is that the CD appears to be a straight, unfutzed transfer of the original tape. If the original CD had any noticeable "tinkering", like the subsequent Rep reissues, I wouldn't have used it.

      Some people may prefer the remastered Reps, but my aim here is to provide the closest sound to the original Aussie 1967 album.

      Delete
  2. Hello Jaenes -

    Thanks for putting the time into this one. I look forward to it a lot.



    All the best from S.America,
    Ottoman79

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much looking forward to this! Thanks in advance!

    jaybee (U.S.A.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just heard the album and really enjoyed the music (I previously only knew Friday On My Mind) and the audio. Mono rules!

    Just one thing: I'm curious for the original CD artwork, even if it's plain bad, so do you mind uploading it?

    Thanks for your effort and for sharing this Aussie gem with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Q -

    Thank you very much. I just got done listening to it again. I love this band and it is sadly underrepresented in my collection which you have just made a large step to fix! Now we need someone, somewhere to rip a mono LP of Vigil!!!

    Take care - Ottoman79

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just missed out on a nice Aussie copy last year - went for over $250. :( Still looking...

      For completeness though, I'd have to get both Aussie and UK copies, for the three tracks on the UK edition that aren't on the Aussie one.

      Delete
  6. Great work, Q. I like the explanation as to how you arrived at this final offering. Many audiophile, myself including, are a little "sniffy" about CD-sourced music. However, when done properly, CD can be excellent - in fact, Bowie's German RCA "Triangle" CD issues of his back-catalogue in the early 80's are PHENOMENAL!
    Anyway, thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The real question here is if Alberts had the tape all along for this, then what on earth did Don Bartley find at Abbey Road last year? And why did they just end up using narrowed versions of the stereo mixes of the 3 UK-recorded tracks?! Boggles the mind (and I didn't talk yet about the added compression!)...

    I downed this on release but only gave it a good listen recently, and your efforts sound great. Thanks for giving the definitive version of this title! Look like it's up to us fans to keep recorded legacy in proper shape, eh? Just wanna check in to see how far along your Easybeats excursion/hunt is going along. How's the hunt for that elusive Volume 3 going? Going well, I hope.

    BTW speaking of legacy, I've been spending the last few weeks browsing the endless Easybeats album-by-album threads (now at part 3, congrats!), and you guys have done a stellar job clearing out the brush and making it a bit clearer for us peasants. One question I wonder that I didn't see get answered there, however: what's up with the UK Good Friday being a fold-down? (And any dedicated mono "Hound Dog" existant? Sorry, I couldn't resist :P )

    -Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don put a video of his transfer on Facebook and it clearly shows him using the 1980 Absolute Anthology reels, not any original reels. This makes sense, for as you say, the three UK-recorded tracks are narrow stereo on the remaster, just like they are on the Absolute Anthology tapes. The original Best Of LP is true mono. Sufficed to say I prefer my cleanup. :)

      I have a new rig now (Project 6perspeX with Golding 1022GW cart) and once it's broken in I hope to do one or two of the early albums.

      Delete
    2. And l don't know why the UK mono 'Good Friday' is a folddown. Very odd. The US 'FOMM' LP is great in true mono, apart from the dodgy sounding 'Pretty Girl'.

      I'm fairly certain that the Aussie 'Who'll Be The One' single is also a folddown.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the reply back, Jae! The UK 'Good Friday' being a foldie of the stereo is very odd, indeed, considering those tracks were recorded in the UK! Oh, well, I think I can live with Hound Dog being only in stereo. (Unless it's the one dedicated track on the mono?! Only kidding...)

      I heard weird things about Pretty Girl, apparently it's running proper speed on the 'Best Of Vol. 1' but on the US is running slower! Thanks for the info on that reissue, I wonder why he would use the Antho Reels? I'm enthralled with the history told in that thread but almost have little knowledge of the mixes and tapes themselves.

      By the way, is that Allusions project going on? Sorry but I saw this mentioned in another post and couldn't resist asking...

      -Vic

      Delete
    4. Yep, The Allusions are still on the list; mono/stereo edition...hopefully. :)

      Delete
  8. Filefactory says this file will have to be re-upped....

    I would like very much to hear it. so I hope a new link can be added.

    Thank your for your work on these Easybeats collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll re upload it this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Thank you -- looking forward to hearing your work!

      Delete
  9. Just snagged it; THANK YOU Jaenes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it possible to re-up this along with Vigil? I'm really interested in hearing some good sounding mono Easybeats!

    ReplyDelete