
AUS Polystar Stereo LP, 818 976-4
First released April 1984
01 - Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
02 - Mi-Sex - Blue Day
03 - The Romantics - Talking In Your Sleep
04 - Quiet Riot - Cum On Feel The Noize
05 - The SOS Band - Just Be Good To Me
06 - Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
07 - Marilyn - Calling Your Name
08 - Elton John - Kiss The Bride
09 - Sandii & The Sunsetz - Sticky Music
10 - Van Halen - Jump
11 - Bette Midler - Beast Of Burden
12 - Lionel Richie - All Night Long
13 - Big Country - In A Big Country
14 - The Cure - The Love Cats
15 - INXS - Original Sin
16 - Paul Young - Love Of The Common People
17 - Mondo Rock - Come Said The Boy
18 - Michael Jackson - Thriller
"Throbbin '84" was a contemporary various artists compilation released in Australia by PolyGram in April 1984. It was a joint project between PolyGram, CBS Records and WEA Records. The album spent five weeks at the top of the Australian album charts from mid-May 1984.
This was the second album of contemporary artists that I ever acquired (after "1986.... Just For Kicks"). I say acquired because I didn't actually purchase it at the time, a friend of the family made a cassette copy from her LP for me.
==About this transfer==
Yes, like "1986.... Just For Kicks" this transfer has been made from a CASSETTE. And yes, it sounds good too. Not quite as good as "1986... Just For Kicks", but still on par, or better than, the vinyl release (36+ minutes of music per side of vinyl doesn't equate to great sound to begin with).
The thing I love most about this album is the "innocence" in the track mastering. Yes, it's a bit thin (even on the cassette), but it's very dynamic with no brickwalling. Listening to it took me right back to 1984.
While I have applied no Noise Reduction, I have applied some EQ to better balance the sound. Not much, mind you, but just enough to give it a bit of bottom end.
Track gaps are as per cassette. There are no audible dropouts or wow/flutter to distract from listening.
==Cassette transfer and 24bit restoration by Q==
Hardware
- Yamaha KX-580 Tape Deck
- Denon PMA-1520AE Integrated Amplifier
- Cakewalk FA-66 Audio Interface (set to 24bit/96kHz)
Software
- Audition 3.0.1 (audio capture and editing)
- iZotope RX 5 Advanced (resampling and dithering to Red Book audio specifications)
Artwork included
I'm a sucker for cassette rips. Lots of nostalgia.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for Throbbin '84 and Just For Kicks.
Thanks very much. I'm a sucker for these K-Tel type comps.
ReplyDeleteI especially like the 70s ones where they edited the songs like crazy!
Sounds like good, cheesy fun. Thank you, Jaenes.
ReplyDeleteGood stuff. Thank you very much.
ReplyDelete