Saturday, 22 November 2014

New rig...

I've upgraded my Project Xpression III turntable and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge to a new Project 6perspeX turntable and Goldring 1022GW cartridge. It's only early days, but so far I'm loving the new sound! The 1022GW, while perhaps not quite as mellow as the Blue, (although it is early days yet) seems to track better with less noticeable distortion.

I've also picked up quite a bit of 1960s vinyl over the last few months. More Easybeats and other Aussie titles amongst the mix of classic, and some obscure, artists.

Once I've run in the new cartridge I hope to put up a few new titles.

:)


32 comments:

  1. Just to be safe: this doesn't invalidate your previous rips, right? They're still top notch? ;)

    The only thing I can think of that might be good for a rerip is Johnny Young, but that sounded pretty good my ears, even with the huge cutting hum you mentioned.

    More Easybeats, and more spotlight on Aussie artists, is always good! Did you ever find that Volum3 by the way? Or are you planning to start us on something earlier? Either way, can't wait to see what you've got planned!

    -Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, doesn't invalidate them at all. I only use good quality copies for needledropping anyway.

      No Vol 3 yet. :(

      Delete
    2. Ah, 'tis a shame. :( Hopefully a well-cared and great-sounding Volume 3 will show up in your area for the cheap soon. Got any hints as to what else you've got planned?

      BTW... any new BBC transcription discs show up in your neck of the woods or inbox yet? Just wondering ;)

      (Oh, and, I'm pleased to hear about your focus on good quality vinyl, and that you're not one of those gear freaks who are so obsessed with "the sound" they completely overlook the quality of the vinyl they use. You can only go so far with system specs before the quality/reality of the vinyl format sets in. It can be done within reason, however...)

      -Vic

      Delete
    3. Vinyl quality is more important to me, although it did feel nice to indulge. :)

      No new BBC discs...yet.

      I got a sealed mono "Time Out" LP which I hope sounds good - might be an upgrade to the current transfer.

      And some Aussie titles on the list as well.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, it's good to hear that, but I just saw your updated post and may I be first to say "holy ***t"! Might not be that good transfer at the NFSA you were talking about, but your words are encouraging!

      I do hope that sealed "Time Out" LP sounds good, too. They can be hit or miss, but here's hoping luck is on your side!

      Oh, and I happily await any more Aussie titles you've got prepped up. Without giving away anything, can you give us a hint as to what's next?

      -Vic

      Delete
    5. All depends on the vinyl quality, but I'm looking at more Easybeats, some Flying Circus, La De Das, Allusions, Groove, Avengers (OK, NZ, but close), Ray Brown & The Whispers, Ronnie Burns, Burton & Cunico, Executives, Galapagos Duck, Colleen Hewett, some soundtracks, Seekers...

      Delete
    6. Wowzers! I'm blown away, for sure! Even though I have no idea who half of those artists are... Well, I can tell you one thing, I am definitely awaiting the arrival of more Easybeats, and those Allusions. Cheers!

      -Vic

      Delete
    7. great news ! but the quality of your rips was already fantastic ! fitzysbuna

      Delete
    8. What a great list. I can't wait for The Allusions, the CD leaves alot! to be desired. Will be great to hear some kiwi material with the Avengers and La De Das. Ray Brown, Flying Circus and the Seekers sound good too!, all great groups.

      Delete
  2. Nice. Thank you for letting us know. Looking forward to hearing how the new rig sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news, gald you enjoy it. Would be great to get Loved Ones mono LP rip.


    ottoman79

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As coincidence would have it, I've tested the mono Loved Ones on the new rig - just added a pic to the first post. :)

      Sounds better than I remember, which is encouraging!

      Delete
    2. Speaking of the Loved Ones... I've been thinking about this recently, but are there any chances of any export pressings for New Zealand or abroad being made? Or any local NZ copies recut by a certain HMV or EMI? Only shooting in the dark here...

      Speaking about recuts: you mentioned the Astor stereo pressing on SHTV, but is that a recut, or just a repress using the same metal parts? And how is the quality of the vinyl there?

      With other regards to the Loved Ones, I also discovered this French EP on Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Loved-Ones-The-Loved-One/release/4009848 Could interest you, even though there are no pictures and it's just that one listing I can find...

      -Vic

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Jaenes Q, for the new rig, I'm waiting for very nice rips with it. thank you very much.

    marco

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, congrats man. Looks pretty darn sweet (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great man! Congrats.

    --Clampdown--

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great table and cartridge. Congratulations for the upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's wrong to request for a needledrop, but since you like jazz, I'll shoot the question anyway: do you have anything by The Dudley Moore Trio?
    I understand they were very respected in Australia, more than in their native UK (even though Chris Karan is aussie).

    It's a pain in the sphincter to find any of their original albums in digital format, so I'm sorry for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jae, I know you're a bit of a fan of the Rainbow Ffolly and Sallies Fforth (evidenced by your current av on SHTV!), so I wanted to share with you this news. Apparently Rhino's reissuing the mono LP (PMC 7050) for RSD!

    http://theseconddisc.com/2015/03/12/dont-walk-on-by-rhinos-record-store-day-lineup-boasts-a-ha-bee-gees-bowie-doors-dionne-more/

    They're also reissuing the Doors' Strange Days in mono and Tomorrow's s/t in mono as well...

    -Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great album. Not sure how I can get a copy here in Australia though???

      Delete
    2. Hopefully there's some kind of Amazon/official online store listing with this dealio... and some kind of digital release, too! For both this and Strange Days.

      -Vic

      Delete
    3. And now it appears that Sallies Fforth is available on HDTracks... http://www.hdtracks.com/new/sallies-fforth-230642

      I don't have access to speakers right now, but is this in stereo (most likely) or mono? And how's the panning on this compared to the See For Miles? I know you had a question there on which panning matched the original LP and such...

      -Vic

      Delete
    4. Hey, Jae, I guess while I'm at it, may I ask if you're planning to upload yer rips of those rare Aussie LPs not from the '60s that you bought lately, like the two from Galapagos Duck or Swamp Salad? I noticed you used the magical words "not on CD" for those...

      And please tell us how the HDTracks download sounds in comparison to your Sallies Fforth LP!

      -Vic

      Delete
    5. "Tomorrow" sounds brilliant - much better than the recent Japanese SHM mono release. "Sallies Fforth" sounds great as well, a little bit loud, but not offensively so. Also a bit "clicky" in certain parts, which needledroppers would have removed, even if they're on the mastertape (they appear to be, I can hear them, albeit fainter, on the SFM stereo release). True 24/96 - the best two HDTracks purchases I've made!

      Delete
    6. Oh, I've also deduced that the SFM CD has some tracks reversed and some correct. The first two tracks appear to be reversed, then it's correct, then one or two tracks near the end (forget which ones now!). The Rev-ola release, while sounding like rubbish, is perhaps the closest to the LP in separation/presentation. Having said that, the SFM is still the best *sounding* stereo CD, by far! But still compares not to the new mono release (which appears to be a folddown, but still). BTW, listening to the 1997 German GCR (stereo) pirate CD release as I type - a straight needledrop of a VG+ sounding record.

      Delete
    7. I first shared The Removalists by Galapagos Duck a long time ago - truly great album. But the transfer I made was of the subsequent reissue, which sounded a bit muddier than the first pressings. I slightly EQ'ed my transfer to better match the first pressing and shared it. It was an improvement, but the perfectionist in me wants to transfer a true first pressing. I now have two, but, despite playing with no IGD or anything, they are pressed on vinyl that's too clicky for my liking. And lately, while I have time to listen, I'm struggling to find time to clean up and share. Which is a shame, because teh new rig sounds fantastic!

      Delete
    8. Hi man, sorry to have not responded quickly! I definitely agree that the Tomorrow mono HD mastering is the best. But more importantly, thanks for the words on "The Removalists". I never got to download your rip the first time, so I hope you find some better vinyl soon. Will there be any similar plans for the "Swamp Salad" LP as well? That video you posted really whet my appetite!

      And Jae, just curious, have you heard this 2005 mastering of Sallies Fforth off Qobuz (and Spotify)? I notice it's published by EMI/Parlophone UK, so it's promising...

      -Vic

      Delete
  10. Nice Info! This is really a nice blog, thanks for sharing this and keep sharing.

    Italian Dual Citizenship | Italian Translations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to believe this is a spam comment. And not a real person.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for your great work, Q.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete