
AUS Apple Stereo LP, TVSS8
First released February 1972
01. Love Me Do - #1
02. Boys - #2 (EP - Requests)
03. Long Tall Sally - #2 (EP - Requests)
04. Honey Don't - #1
05. P.S. I Love You - #1 (EP - All My Loving)
06. Baby You're A Rich Man - #1
07. All My Loving - #1 (EP - All My Loving)
08. Yesterday - #3
09. Penny Lane - #1
10. Magical Mystery Tour - #2
11. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - #1
12. With A Little Help From My Friends - N/A
13. All You Need Is Love - #1
14. Something - #1
15. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - #1
16. Let It Be - #1
Chart source:
TOP 40 RESEARCH 1956-1994 - Jim Barnes and Stephen Scanes - 3rd Edition
(Compiled from New South Wales music-chart information)
==About the album==
No Australian album is perhaps more misunderstood internationally than "The Essential Beatles". This February 1972 compilation brought together sixteen tracks that had all, with the exception of "With A Little Help From My Friends", reached at least the top 3 in the singles charts (11, including "Honey Don’t", reached number 1). Interestingly, EMI (Australia) asked EMI UK for a stereo mix of "Penny Lane", yet used the mono mix of "Baby, You’re A Rich Man".
The album was coupled in December 1982 with Barry Miles’ book "The Beatles In Their Own Words" (London: Omnibus Press, 1978) and reissued as "The Beatles Sight & Sound" box set. It was also issued through the World Record Club as part of the August 1980 released "Superstars of the '70s" boxset.
"The Essential Beatles" is an Australian compilation that withstood the onslaught of overseas “greatest hits” packages!
==About this transfer==
This transfer was made by the (in)famous Dr Ebbetts from one of my copies of the album. Thus, it has the same anomalies as the original vinyl release, viz:
- "Baby You're A Rich Man" is in mono.
- "Long Tall Sally" has reversed channels.
- "Penny Lane" runs slow with a noticable "warble".
It was released through Dr Ebbetts in 2010. It wasn't available for long, as Dr Ebbetts disappeared from the scene not long after.
==Vinyl transfer by Dr Ebbetts from vinyl supplied by Q==
Artwork included
Hi-Res (not available)
I promised this to someone over a year ago so thought I'd share with everyone, given Dr Ebbetts has long since retired.
ReplyDeletePoor Ebbetts. He really should have kept his word and retired after the 2009 Beatles remasters. Instead he couldn't resist dipping himself into the waters again and sucked himself into a whirlpool of ever-increasing hurt (that includes his scanner/printer problems).
DeleteAnyways, I'm just glad to see that YOU haven't gone into retirement yourself! Good to see you back.
-Vic
He actually had a heap of transfers taken from my vinyl that he ended up never releasing, like the two Aussie Greatest Hits volumes and 10th Anniversary collection (mainly artwork on that one). Also the Aussie censored Plastic Ono Band LP and one or two other titles from memory. Never got to hear them, although I know they were done. :(
DeleteI've been a bit preoccupied with another venture this year that has kept me extremely busy, but in a good way. :)
Ooh, is it that Executives book you've been gabbin' about the past few months? Best of luck on that and hope you get to finish soon ;)
DeleteI sincerely hope you've got more titles for us coming down the pipeline soon, but if not, that's alright, I'd rather have a well-done product than a rushed one!
-Vic
I'd love the artwork for 10th Anniversary Collection if and when you can find any Jae
DeleteHi mate, hope you're doing well. I'm sure if you made this transfer, it would be better than the Ebbetts one!
DeleteHi mate - I no doubt agree, especially with my new deck! But I chose to be lazy with this one otherwise I'd never get around to it (it's waaay down on my list)!
DeleteMany thanks for this one Jaenes Q..I know it will be well worth the wait
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy it. :)
DeleteI sure did..especially that Let It Be re-mix with George's tougher/louder guitar solo It's the only Beatles album I ever found it on..tho I guess it must be on at least on other..but which? I've got a few lol
DeleteThanks a lot!
ReplyDeleteglad to see you again after an annual break.
Welcome back! I enjoy your site a lot.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Jaenes Q Records !
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! Thank you for this one.
ReplyDeleteJae, thanks much for posting this. After listening it dawned on me I needed to get a vinyl copy for myself which I did. Yet another favor I owe you!
ReplyDeleteBobby S.
Hey Bobby, good to hear from you! Hope you're well. I still play your CDs...
ReplyDeleteThanks much Jae! I've been working for awhile now with a band called Donovan's Brain which often has your countryman Deniz Tek helping out.
DeleteInteresting collection with a bunch of tracks that don't usually seem to get the compilation/greatest hits treatment. Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteJames